Vegan Lemon Drizzle

11:01

I decided to do a bit more experiment baking today. I wanted to turn a traditional bake into something I could eat so I created a vegan, dairy free, gluten free, nut free and egg free lemon drizzle traybake! 
My experimenting didn't end there however, I also created my own gluten free flour mix as most of the mixtures in shops contain potato starch and unfortunately I cannot tolerate potatoes. After some research I realised that by mixing different flours together I could create my own gluten free flour mix for cakes.

Lemon Drizzle Traybake

 

 Ingredients:
For the cake:
235g gluten free plain flour*
15g gram flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoons salt
175g golden caster sugar
85ml rapeseed oil
265ml rice milk
juice and zest of 2 lemons

For the lemon drizzle syrup:
2 tablespoons of caster sugar
juice of 1 lemon

For the lemon icing:
juice and zest of 1 lemon
150g icing sugar

*You could buy the ready mixed flour but I used 94g oat flour and 141g rice flour

Method: 

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.

2. Grease and line a square baking tray. You could use a loaf tin if you wanted to make a lemon drizzle loaf. 

3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.

4. In a separate bowl whisk the sugar with the oil, rice milk and lemon juice. Once it's all incorporated, stir in the lemon zest.

5. Mix in the wet ingredients into the dry, you may find that the mixture is runnier than usual but that's fine. Be careful not to overmix. 

6. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and bake for 45 minutes until golden brown and until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out dry.

7. While the cake is cooking, make the lemon drizzle syrup. Heat the lemon juice and caster sugar in a saucepan until the sugar is completely dissolved then set to oneside. 

8. Once the cake is baked, remove from the oven and pierce all over with a skewer. Drizzle the syrup all over the cake. 

9. Next, make the icing, sift the icing sugar into the lemon juice and stir until smooth. Once the cake is cool, drizzle the icing over the cake, sprinkling with the zest to decorate. 




Happy Baking!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe